Welcome to St Andrew and St Michael
Welcome to Stockwell Parish St Andrew and St Michael
St Andrew’s Church, on the corner of Landor Road and Lingham Street, was the first church in the area and there has been a church on this site since 1767. St Michael’s church in Stockwell Park Road, has been here since 1841 and is a Grade 2 listed building. The two churches form the Parish of Stockwell. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) has members of both churches.
The parish school of St Andrew’s is a thriving and successful primary school: there are strong links between the school and the parish churches.St. Michael’s hall, Stockwell Park Crescent, holds a number of activities for children during term time, including a popular pre-school playgroup, Brownies and Guides (girls), Beavers, Cubs and Scouts (girls and boys).
Vicar & Ministry Team
The Venerable Simon Gates, also Archdeacon of Lambeth
The Rev’d Canon Ivelaw Bowman Assistant Priest
The Rev’d Olufunke Ogbede Assistant Priest
Phillip Fletcher Lay minister (Reader)
Glenfield Benjamin Pastoral auxiliary (SPA)
Cora Leander Pastoral auxiliary (SPA)
The clergy, lay ministers and pastoral assistants serve the people of the parish. Members of the Ministry Team are available to pray with you. You may like to light a candle and pray privately or leave a prayer request in the prayer book/cards by the votive candle stand in each church. Feel free to use these facilities
New Priest-in-Charge from November
The Rev. Eriva Wooff will take over from Simon Gates as our Priest-in-Charge in the Autumn. She has been the Rector of the two Parishes of Charlton United Benefice in the Woolwich Episcopal Area since 2008. She is a priest of the modern Catholic tradition but, having grown up in the broad church, very much enjoyes worshipping and ministering across both traditions. Erica has over 20 years' experience of community outreach and working with children, young people and schools. She is passionate about cooking and Welsh rugby.
Erica's licensing in Stockwell will be on a date to be advised. Everyone is warmly invited.
2014 Parish Survey
In 2014 a parish survey was carried out to see which of the two church sites was preferred for redevelopment. The responses clearly favoured the St Andrew’s site. The redevelopment will include a newly built church and community centre. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is steering this project. An Open Day on 19 September 2015 at St Andrew’s church will give up to date information and plans.
St. Andrew's Church
St. Andrew's Church has no heating at present and would cost around £2 million to renovate current under-maintenance, not including much needed modern essentials as proper disabled access and toilets. Its hall (Hammerton Hall) would cost a further £ 2.5 million on the same basis. The hall is locally 'listed' by the London Borough of Lambeth as “of interest architecturally”; while the church is not. The church cannot raise the amount needed for restoration and repairs need to begin immediately to limit further deterioration.
St Michael's Church
St Michael's Church is listed as a Grade 2 building in the national register of buildings of architectural or historic interest. It requires work to restore but has no severe maintenance backlog excluding rewiring, which we endeavour to undertake shortly. However, to make it fit for purpose in the longer term would be very costly, the amount depending on the proposed changes made. St Michael's Hall dates from the 1950s, has been well-maintained, but lacks certain facilities, for example a shower.